Qutub-Minar

Qutab Minar

Tower of Victory or Qutb Minar was built in early 13th century by the first Muslim ruler of Delhi, Qutub-ud-din Aibak, immediately after defeating Delhi’s last Hindu Kingdom. Layers of cultural, religious, and political history converge at the Qutb Minar. The red sandstone tower is 72.5m high, tapering from 2.75m in diameter at its peak to 14.32m at its base, and alternating angular and rounded flutings. It became UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993 along with the group of religious monuments and funerary buildings that are known for their architectural display. It is one of the finest examples of the architectural display of early Islamic India. Qutb Minar is an outstanding example of a type of building, architectural or technological ensemble which illustrates significant stages of early Mughal architecture in India and has a great historic context. The area around Qutb Minar are important buildings including Iitutmish’s Tomb (1235), the magnificent Alai Darwaza (1310) and Alauddin’s Madrasa (1317). Sikandar Lodi in 16th century made some changes/repairs to the Qutb Minar.